Art is the meeting ground
between the inside
& outside world
Art therapy is a mental health profession in which clients, facilitated by the art therapist, use art media, the creative process, and the resulting artwork to improve their personal well-being.
Is art therapy only for children?
No! Although this is a common assumption, anyone of any age or creative skill level can participate in and benefit from engaging in art therapy.
What are some benefits for adults?
Many adults have reported that engaging in art therapy helps them:
- feel less stressed
- learn ways to let go of control and trust the process
- Gain a better understanding of thoughts, feelings, and behaviors
- Get "unstuck" from a specific area of concern: Often adults will share that they have been to therapy before or have tried many things to work though/accomplish a specific therapy goal. However, tapping into a different part of the brain and our more unconscious self. we can learn things we never knew we never knew!
- Improve creativity and flexibility of thought (see benefits of this in this article)
How can art therapy help children?
These points are also true for adults!
- Flexibility of thought
- Growth Mindset
- Problem solving skills
- Adapting to changes
- Emotional regulation
- Improve attention span
- Build confidence/self esteem,
- Natural way to communicate though images/non-verbally
- Fun! Seen as play and not work
- Give something to focus on while talking
- A comfortable/safe place for thoughts/feelings
How is art therapy different than just creating art on your own?
Art therapy vs. art therapy
PsychologyToday article - LINK
What if my kid hates making art?
About the creative process - May be unfcomfotable making art because there is a perceived "right/wrong? or good/bad - use crfeativity and expression to communicte thoughts, feelings, and experiences - Not maing "art" rather just an expression athat comes in many forms! Could be just choosing colors to express a mood, or marks on paper that show a feeling. "Art" is not about a product, it's about the creative process - Can help these kids feel more empowered, confident, and utazlixe flexavlity of thought and growth mindset skills.
What does an art therapy session look like?
Is art created in every session?
- No, since we utalize the experienctial and creative process, that may take on additional forms rather than stricktly art making. Additionally, clinicians at The Peaceful Place strives to meet each cleint where they are and best meet their needs. Therefore, we adapt our approaches to best fit each clients individual needs and are flexabile and fluid with what speicific intervetions/methods are most appropatue/suitable to helping move toward meeting goals. \--art while talking, engaging both hemispheres of the brain
what things happen in a session - other things
Other modalities/techniques may be puled in and utlaized whenas appropritiate Other ossible modaliteis may be
- puppety or acting
Other things that may occcurbe utalized in a session could be puppets, acting, drawing whild talking, journaling/worting, other more traditional talk therapy techniques of CBT, DBT, IFS, breathing techniques, yoga movements, visulization, meditation
What qualifies someone to be an art therapist?
Art therapy practice requires knowledge of visual art (drawing, painting, sculpture, and other art forms) and the creative process, as well as of human development, psychological, and counseling theories and techniques. All the Art Therapists here at The Peaceful Place are also trained/licensed in traditional counseling .
Can art therapy be done in virtual sessions?
Yes! We realize at this time in our world virtual sessions are a necessary alternative for many people. Art therapy can still be done virtually - it just may take a little more coordenating! Your art therapist can let you know supplies to have handy during a session or pre-send you ideas/instructions.
I'm interested in art therapy for myself/my child, but not ready for individual therapy
Course Coming Up
Links for more information
about Art Therapy